Chemical peeling is a proven and safe method for obtaining youthful skin. The treatment consists of the application of chemical solutions of varying strengths, which causes skin to peel off, revealing newly formed pink skin that gradually fades to normal skin tones. This new layer of regenerated skin is healthier, smoother and tighter than the previous layer.
Medical-strength skin peels can reduce or remove the following skin problems: Fine lines and wrinkles, acne, acne scars, sun-damage, uneven pigmentation, age spots, freckles, brown spots (melasma), rough or uneven skin texture, facial scars, rosacea, blood vessel damage and pre-cancerous growths.
Peels work on fine skin such as that of the eyelids, as well as on the face, neck, décolletage, bald head, back, arms, hands and legs.
The tailor-made skin peel
The strength (or concentration) of a peel affects the depth of the treatment and will be adjusted depending on its intended purpose and the patient’s skin type:
● Light strength skin peels > Light exfoliation: Superficial peels penetrate the top layer of the skin known as the Stratum Corneum and soften superficial lines and wrinkles, reduce large pores, correct acne, diminish light inflammation, dermatitis, and superficial pigmentation problems such as age spots.
● Medium strength skin peel > moderate exfoliation: Mid-strength peels penetrate the full level of the epidermis including the basal layer (Stratum Basale). Moderate peels can further resurface uneven skin areas and provide improvement for deeper facial lines and wrinkles, sun damaged skin, premature ageing, acne scarring, and moderate pigmentation problems - including most hyper-pigmentation and discolouration.
● Full strength skin peel > pronounced exfoliation: Full strength peels penetrate past the papillary dermis into the reticular dermis. Deeper treatments are efficient in treating pronounced pigmentations, deep acne scarring, stretch marks, thickened and sun-damaged skin as well as very resistant lines and wrinkles.
Obagi ZO Ossential Stimulation Peel - a light strength skin peel
The peel contains a blend of salicylic acid, lactic acid, citric acid and ascorbyl palmitate. All natural ingredients that will provide a light exfoliation. The Obagi ZO Ossential Stimulation Peel is suitable for patients looking to improve skin tone and texture with no downtime.
Obagi Blue Peel RADIANCE - a light to medium strength skin peel
Using a combination of salicylic, lactic and glycolic acids and other soothing ingredients, the Blue Peel Radiance provides a moderate exfoliation with minimum downtime.
Obagi Blue Peel - a medium to full strength TCA skin peel
For rejuvenative purposes we usually recommend the Obagi Blue Peel, a TCA (trichloroacetic acid) medium to full-penetrating skin peel. Obagi Blue Peel is a clinically documented, effective and safe method of skin restoration and rejuvenation.
The Blue Peel is applied in layers or sections, using concentrations appropriate to the problems being addressed. Its blue colour allows for a high degree of visual control over the area and the penetration depth of the skin peel. Once the desired result has been obtained, the peel is self-neutralising and is washed off with water. For optimal results, Obagi pre-peel skin conditioning is used, as appropriate treatment of skin prior to peeling results in a faster healing process.
Depending on the strength and depth of the peel used, swelling, redness and a sensation of tightness will be experienced to varying degrees following the procedure. Within days, the outer layers of the skin will begin to peel off, a process that will continue over the following days. By the 7th to 10th days, the skin should be healed and improvement noticeable. The skin’s condition will continue to improve during the weeks following the peel.
Both men and women benefit cosmetically and medically from chemical peels. A peel can be used as a single treatment or may be repeated annually (or as often as required) as part of a personalised skin restoration and optimisation programme.
Microscopic section of facial skin, with interposed lines to illustrate the increasing depths of various skin peels.
● Light strength stimulating peel removes dead cells and top layer of skin - provides instant improvement in skin tone and texture.
● Medium strength TCA Blue Peel treats the upper epidermal layer - ideal for aesthetic skin restoration.
● Full strength TCA Blue Peel stimulates deeper collagen formation and a full epidermal regeneration - treating skin lines, pigmentation and acne scarring.